In the MSK-diagnostic sector, a large number of challenges arise for different target groups...
- Medical staff requires reliable reading results to decide on the best diagnostic pathway
- Patients are looking for trustworthy insights into the status and progress of their (bone) disease
- Physicians are spending more time on manual image analysis and result reporting tasks than actually reviewing the optimal pathway with the patient
- Diagnostic results are reported in a subjective, non-standardized manner by specialists and non-specialists alike
- And many more...
Measuring and reporting take up to 50+ mouse clicks per case.
Pre- and post-total knee arthroplasty (TKA) lower limb alignment is assessed manually or with the aid of interactive software applications, which can lead to high intra- and inter-reader variability, poor reproducibility, and calibration errors. Furthermore, measurement of angles and lengths on AP standing lower extremity radiographs is a time-consuming task, as surgeons have to spend over five minutes to measure each radiograph on average.
An example in applying AI-supported software in orthopedic surgery.
Fully automated measurements of lower extremity radiographs could provide accurate, comprehensive, standardized, and reproducible results more efficiently than the current radiological procedure. Graphical reports illustrating all measurements enable explainable AI and mitigates the black-box phenomenon. With IB Lab LAMA 1.03 these measurements are now also available on radiographs with knee implants.
IB Labs LAMA is unique in its way of achieving a zero-click, seamless integration into existing reporting workflows. Industry-standard output formats enable customizable report generation. Results are calculated within seconds, stored in PACS, and are available in the DICOM viewer as printable PDF reports for the referring physicians.
Opportunities for physicians and patients: digitalization has the potential to fundamentally change orthopedic workflows
- AI-assisted software enables a pre-selection by instantly triaging normal and abnormal cases, prioritizing the worklist for the orthopedic surgeon
- Replacing manual workflow steps with a fully automated solution increases the physicians’ efficiency by saving reading and reporting time
Software-aided tracking and assessing of pre-/post-surgery outcomes enables reproducible outcomes measures and significantly reduces the risk of inter-rater variabilities. New assessment & prediction models built upon objective data points will benefit the patients and the physicians alike